[tweetmeme source=”mattcg” service=”bit.ly” only_single=”false”]
Well, the IE Consulting team and I read through almost 700 press releases from European buyout and growth capital investors (2006-2010) so you don’t have to. And the results of our research are summarised in an article in this month’s Private Equity Europe:
I think GPs are so focussed on announcing their transactions that they are neglecting the opportunities they have to communicate everything else they – and their portfolio companies – do. But what do you think? Please let me know, below!
I’m not talking about venture capital, because those guys definitely get it (well many of them, at least). I’m talking about small buyout houses, mid-market buyout houses and upwards.
In markets where LPs and consultants are overloaded with information on new funds coming to market, one would think that a new channel of communication (this is all social media, collectively, are) would be pounced on. And it is free. Have you seen anyone outside of the venture space really doing anything interesting?
2. Deal origination
Particularly in a time when operational expertise is prized over financial engineering, one might expect that a medium perfectly suited to the demonstration of expertise would be a key weapon in the arsenal of any deal origination team. I was fortunate to speak with David Teten on this topic recently and he definitely gets this, too. There is so much that COULD BE done. And so little BEING done. The first team that grasps this and runs with it is going to steal a considerable march on the competition.
I think I am going to give a little more thought to this topic and I ‘d be interested in anyone else’s views.
- Bain: Global private equity report 2010
- LPs: More GPs than ever will struggle to raise a fund over the next TWO years
- More than a big deal? What GPs think worth communicating
- Life as a Limited Partner during the financial crisis – The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
- Open, for business… Private equity firms and transparency
Twitter – DISCLAIMER – may not be entirely serious; may contain indulgent references to activities of my kids
- The latest Private Equity Robot_/News/_! paper.li/mattcg/1306161… Thanks to @Denver_Banker @_MelissaLey @sboocock #venturecapital 10 hours ago
- I'm in the running to win a copy of Gloomhaven with @TheBoardGameHut & @BoardGamingHome #boardgames wn.nr/CHWG3d 1 day ago
- The latest Private Equity Robot_/News/_! paper.li/mattcg/1306161… Thanks to @CfeAshoka @yrraByrraB @TheLawReporter #venturecapital 1 day ago
- What does Brexit mean for the asset management industry? Read my article, respond to my survey,please! You'll be the… lnkd.in/gRz-hkp 1 day ago
- Can May's government deliver a good deal for #assetmanagement? linkedin.com/pulse/negotiat… by @mattcg on @LinkedIn #brexit #privateequity #hedge 1 day ago